Perhaps I should have listed "posting more on my blog" as one of my New Year goals as well!
Well, we've been busy with lots of stuff as usual. Some of it worth all my time and effort and others not so much...
I'm going to tell you about one thing that occupied way too much of my free time this month. Especially considering that I don't have much free time at all...
Box Tops. {grrrr}
Somehow, in trying to get more involved in our PTA at school, I got thrust into a Box Top committee. Oh, it was just supposed to be an informational meeting...a see-if-I-want-to be-in-this-particular-committee meeting. Not. Turns out there were only three Moms and the PTA president who showed up.
"Our PTA is now assuming responsibility for the box top/soup label collecting. Here are a poop-ton of box tops. Sort through, toss the expireds, trim them, bundle them into groups of 25 and then bundle those together to create a bundle of 50. Here's your pile."
Ok. I lived through it. Sorted, trimmed, bundled...took me a whole freakin' Friday at home with Eden, but I did it. Then the PTA decided to have a contest. The class with the most box tops wins a pizza party for lunch. Ok. Then came time to count. One Mom hit the road running. The other Mom, who has become the Mom-in-charge-of-box-top-committee, e-mailed me to ask for help. I said, "Sure. I can count 1-2 classrooms."
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I counted {I should say we, because my darling husband helped me--thank goodness} 7 classrooms. SEVEN! And, may I add, that that added up to be 8,207 box tops and a whopping 523 {sticky} soup labels. Each class took at least 3 hours of sorting, clipping, bundling, and counting. I never want to see box tops again.
| HUGE gallon bags stuffed with individual baggies of box top/labels |
| another class...ugh |
| this class had a BUCKET! on the left are the ones we'd counted and bundled already. The large pile still needed to be trimmed and bundled. |
![]() |
| this was a large plastic grocery sack FULL of freakin' box tops! |
![]() |
| trimmed and ready to bundle |
| the finished product! |
Needless to say I am very glad to be finished with that project. And, now you understand why my blog {among other things} was neglected for so long! I did, just this morning, send two e-mails excusing myself from this particular committee!
I have much bigger fish to fry...
...as you can plainly see.
* altogether we had 24,325 box tops and 2,272 labels for education, so the contest was a success. Still...it makes me exhausted just thinking about it!



1 comment:
ARgh! So sorry. I was on the PTC when Zoe was in kindergarten. I hated it. I have never volunteered at school or at an event since. And I don't feel bad about it. Those moms are awful, they are in some sort of unspoken competition- who can be there the most and who can do the most things. A weird popularity contest in my opinion. Now I just tell the teacher I will gladly shop for him/her anytime they need. I have gotten a few requests to send in supplies to which I feel really good about. I mean, I am out all the time at the grocery anyway, I can grab some stuff for the teachers. Just for the record, I ALWAYS trim my boxtops neatly because one of my friends was in charge of them one year and she told me a similar story to yours. It was nice of you to help out but don't do it again. Let some other school mom do it!
Post a Comment