Tuesday, May 31, 2011

teacher gifts

Teacher gifts.  It's truly a love/hate relationship for me.  I so appreciate teachers and value the job they do...and I love to treat them throughout the year.  However, it begins to really feel like a chore sometimes.  I really want them to like what we give them...nobody needs more "stuff"!  So, I do struggle at times.  I do love the letter/questionnaire for the teachers...my cheat sheet...because it helps me treat them to things I know they'll enjoy.  And still, by the end of the year...ugh...I have trouble.

This year we decided that we would do the same gifts across the board.  Gift cards are always appreciated, I think, and we found a cute way to make it a bit more personal.  Cinemark has a website where you can personalize gift cards with your own photos {which we staged to appear as though the boys were watching a movie}.  The down side {which reminds me, I need to e-mail them some feedback on this} is that in order to personalize a gift card you have to purchase a greeting card to go along with it which is a giant rip-off.  I like to make my own cards so I was not wild about having to choose and pay for one.  And, at $4.50 a pop you hate to just discard it.  Plus it made my $20 gift cards $25 {yes that's right...20+5=25, and 25 x 3=75...ouch!}.


The only redeeming factor about the greeting cards is that they do allow you to personalize them, so I let the boys pick out the cards and type a message to their teachers which would then be printed inside, plus we added some cheesy movie-ish sayings like "Hope your summer is two thumbs up!" and "Hope your summer is 5 stars!"  Ty wanted to address and decorate his own envelopes with portraits of his teachers {beautiful likenesses, which I'm sure made them smile}.


Colin is getting to that age where, although he appreciates his teachers and likes them, he'd rather not get too crazy with the gifts.  So, I very simply decorated his card...


We, of course, hope they liked them.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Ugh, I agree, teacher gifts can be such a pain in the you know what. I also opted for gift cards. I figure it would be what I would want so it must be ok. That sounds like I am mighty full of myself but anyway. Love how Ty drew a pic on the envelope. I love love love these kind of drawings. I have saved about a million of the ones my own kids have made me. I agree that sometimes the cutest gifts can become the priciest, annoying!!!!

Sarah said...

Love em! Your teachers are super lucky to have you...I only gave 10$ gift cards. I'm such a cheap skate!

Four years. Four. That was the length of my blog break.   I'm guessing that whomever once followed me will not be here anymore, and ...