Tuesday, November 1, 2011

There are strict orders in place in our home this month.

November 1, 2011...today I start my "Bring Thanksgiving Back" campaign!  We are giving this holiday the respect and attention it deserves in this house, and hopefully inspiring others to do the same.

I have a hard enough time trying to teach my children the difference between a want and a need without every retail operation in the world trying to cram their version of Christmas down their throats in mid-October!  They're children for heavens sake!  They already come pre-programed with the "gimmes"...this is not something we need to train them!  Let's spend some time in November talking about what we're thankful for and how lucky we are and place our focus there...that way when December 1st hits they will {hopefully} have some balance to carry them through the season.

I am not a scrooge...I appreciate the magic of Christmas and the excitement it brings!  Trust me, I know the days are numbered.  I just listen and then quickly remind them that we have my favorite holiday to celebrate first and encourage them to keep a wish list to remind them of the things that they want.

We are having Thanksgiving at our house this year and I'm excited to involve the kids in planning the day. And, hopefully, instilling in them the importance of giving thanks!  Will you join me?  Let's take back the month of November!  Bring back Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Anna said...

I couldn't agree more! I love Christmas, but I have a problem when we start listening to Christmas music and putting up the tree on Nov 1st. Everyone always forgets about Thanksgiving! I've been trying to tell my coworkers that we could listen to Thanksgiving music instead, but they don't seem that excited about it (and as it turns out, it's hard to find such music as well).

Jenny said...

Amen sista! I agree. I am ready to skip Christmas and go right to Valentines day, all that love and stuff. Anyway, I agree, we have to focus on the non-gift-giving aspect of the holiday. I am already trying to think of some ways to make this happen at my house. Oh and the kids look ADORABLE in their costumes.

Four years. Four. That was the length of my blog break.   I'm guessing that whomever once followed me will not be here anymore, and ...