Tuesday, December 15, 2009

the dreaded teacher's gift

It's the one thing I usually have the hardest time with, but this year I'm on the ball. I knew from the get-go just exactly I was going to do. So on top of it, I even remembered to plant the amaryllis bulb 6 weeks before Christmas so that it would be blooming or close to blooming by the time we gave it to Mrs. Schnell. It's growing right along and it will be beautiful with a bit of moss shoved on top when it's finally ready to give.

The bulb is planted in a tin can which has been decoratively covered in paper. I used scrap book paper, but I've used wrapping paper in the past too. I attached a handmade envelope with a card that slides out which holds a gift card ($10 to Target...who wouldn't love that?). Ta-Da...teacher gift!

This year Colin also has a teacher's helper. She checks the mad-minute math tests and tests the kids on their sight words and spelling. She also helps in the reading group for the advanced readers in his class (Proud Mama moment--Colin's in her group :) Sorry for bragging...). Anyway, I felt that I should acknowledge her in some way...she's a really sweet lady and possibly volunteers her time (?) I'm not sure. I decided a handmade ornament might be nice...


This was a kit I bought a couple of years ago by Basic Grey. I'm glad to finally use it and it turned out super cute! I'm debating if I should also do a gift certificate for her too? Maybe some cookies? Suggestions anyone?

2 comments:

sarah said...

dreaded indeed! Working on mine today-dreading. Colin's teacher will love it. Can't get enough of the Basic Grey ornament-don't think they make it anymore.

Pepper Bridges said...

Just caught up on your blog, loved every minute of it. I am feeling quite inspired, keep up the good work.

Four years. Four. That was the length of my blog break.   I'm guessing that whomever once followed me will not be here anymore, and ...